Old February 21st 14, 09:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Default Historic questions on the 3V Les Trois Vallees

Historic questions on the 3V Les Trois Vallees

1) Does anyone remember having to ski over a road surface on the way
to Val Thorens ? The piste seemed to run out and you could see a strip
of lightly snow covered asphalt that must have been a road before you
descended into Val Thorens itself ? Am I imagining this ?

2) I think this was around 83/84. What I remember as a route where you
took the furthest lift in the Meribel valley on the LHS of the valley
as you looked up. You topped a ridge. On the other side of the ridge,
which must have been the Courcheval watershed, you descended into a
sort of bowl but you needed to descend around to your right. The
moguls here always looked like they had been dug by a backhoe, late
season, and were taller than you were. You skied through tunnels.
Lower down you hit a piste/itinerary.

You seemed to ski down a valley, not narrow, as I remember it, and on
the LHS. At one point you skied down a rise in the ground and there
was a rock bluff to your left. If you poled up the rise to the rock
bluff, there was jump down into soft snow.

This is what I am trying to find. Where was this. I remember looking
for this about fifteen years later, thinking it would be easy to find.
But on the route I described, there was a narrow icey track, I think
bordered by a river. Not the broader valley I remember.

Is it possible that this was the same place, except under 2m of snow ?

At that point, I gave up, thinking I must have got it all wrong.

Where was this ? Where is it ?

Does any one know how to contact Denis Summerbell if he is still
around ? If this place is lost in the mists of 3V history, he would be
the man who knew.