Old February 20th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com)

Default adjustment for soft tracks

On Feb 17, 7:46 pm, mike wrote:
I have never received the same kick response on new, soft snow as on
hard track. I would like to hear suggestions as to what adjustments
should be made for this condition:
- wax: use a considerably softer wax and cover it with the wax for the
temperature?
- ski: use a softer pair of ski?
- technique: ??? right now I feel I am wasting a lot of energy
pressing the ski down without getting the response
- expectation: may be I should not expect the same kick response as on
hard tracks period?

... Mike

I wax longer in soft conditions when I go ski touring, which is very
often.

The only time I did the Birkie it was in really soft conditions---
which is, I think a Birkie standard. I had skis with soft tips and
they were rocketships. I was very impressed because I naturally
thought my skis would slow down in the "mashed potatoes." I believe
people look for soft tips for the Birkie and call it the Birkie flex.
Peltonens were famous for this. (Maybe this only applies to midpackers
who deal with a very churned trail.) But this was a skating event.
Still it somewhat points to soft tips as being of interest in soft
conditions in general.

I like both racing and touring but I'm not an up to date expert.

--JP