Old January 7th 04, 03:25 PM
Nevalainen, Eric

Default First Race

Jeff, bt and others who responded:

Most citizen races are mass start (everyone starts at once), so passing

won't be much of an issue for you unless it's a lap race and you get
lapped. Just start at the back and the pecking order will sort itself
out pretty quickly.

It's 2 5k laps, and I am assuming that I will indeed get lapped. After
tracking some of the 10k finishing times in some of the recent local
races, I'll probably be dueling for last place. No big deal.

It's not polite to make someone stop when doing something tough

though---like in the middle of an
uphill---tracking someone there can make them slow down, then splay out

and actually make it
harder to pass them.

Might pay off then for me to check behind me before some of the climbs
and clear the lane if I have a fastmover coming up behind me. None of
the climbs are too long or severe, so it shouldn't be THAT big of an
issue.

* Try to not pass on downhills. The mess that can happen during a

poorly-executed downhill pass is orders of magnitude worse than its
flatland counterpart.

I imagine the mess would be comparable to timing one's decent too close
to another skier (who biffs in front of you) regardless of your intent
to pass.

Just don't be an asshole - have fun. **** will happen, people will be

jerks, but try not to get
****ed, or **** people off.

Wise words.

I could probably beat the corduroy knickers off you

Problem.....I don't have any of these....Hey Jeff! Could you help me
out here??

You made your training bed in the off season, so don't freak too much

about what you are or are
not doing during the season.

I freaked the first time I got back on skis this year because of how
out-of-it I felt, and I've been running and riding quite regularly this
year. My body seems to be getting back in to the swing of things
somewhat.

If you want to ski with Scandis and can't go overseas, head to the UP.

Lived there....done that (Houghton), that's where I picked up this nasty
habit all those many years ago. Of course then, living outside of town,
skis were basic kid transportation. One of the only places I've ever
been where people could pronounce my name correctly on the first
attempt.

Thanks all for the good advice!