Old April 13th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Default how fast do you go?

Christian G. Becker wrote:

That might depend on how "hot" the GPS fixed its first coordinates and
how many satellites it can see. Tested mine several times in a car -
never differed a lot from the cars speed (which has to be calibrated to
show up to 10% + 4 km/h more but never less than actual speed here in
Germany).

Did you test how well the GPS tracked changes in speed? I'd try traveling at riding speed, like maybe 50-60 kph, and see how well
the GPS tracked changes in speed - get on the gas hard, then brake, see if it catches it.

I'm not real familiar with how these units do with the vertical drop, either. Straight horizontal velocity is a lot easier. Don't
some of them use an altimeter to get the elevation more accurately?

Neil