Old January 4th 04, 04:16 PM
Stephen

Default Snowboarding or skiing?

So, here are a few questions. Thanks very much in advance for any answers
or
suggestions you may have.
1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing? If not,
what's the reality?

Boarding tends to involve more balance and coordination than skiing since
you're only on one edge as opposed to two. Devloping in this area is
probably what makes boarding a little harder to learn at first. If you're in
decent shape and take a lesson the first day, you should be able to get down
most greens and some blues on your own without falling much within a few
days. Speaking of falling, it will happen, and catching an edge can slam you
down hard enough to knock the wind out of you or worse. A helmet,
wristguards, and possibly a butt pad to protect the tailbone are things to
seriously consider, at least for the first season.

2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

I used to ski on occasion, maybe once or twice a season. Since trying
boarding though there's been no looking back and it gets me out there at
least once a week. I don't miss skiing at all. Never did like the poles, or
skies being able to go in opposite directions.

3. I understand that virtually all ski resorts now welcome snowboarders as
well. But are there any "skiers only" trails or slopes?

Not in my area, however there is types of terrain such as mogul fields and
some glades where I personally have no desire to go.

4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get "left
in the dust," so to speak?

There's shouldn't be any real issues but maybe some little things. One thing
I've found here is that skiers tend to stop on flatter sections of trail to
regroup. Getting going after stopping on a flat for a snowboard is a pain,
whereas skiers can just pole along. Another thing may be just style,
snowboards tend to make use of more of the trail, whereas most skiers tend
to just go straight. Makes it a little more awkward trying to go down side
by side.

I'd say give it a try at least. Take a lesson, maybe request an instructor
of like age, and don't give up after the first day. If after three days, say
consecutive weekends, you still don't like it, then maybe try skiing
instead.

Steve