Old November 24th 08, 08:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

Default It's snowing in the Tarantaise

"Ace" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:15:47 -0800 (PST), Excess
wrote:

On Nov 21, 10:02 am, "pg" wrote:
Just thought I would be the first to point out from depths of the jungle
that it is currently snowing right down to 800 metres in Bourg St
Maurice...
according to an excited sms from my son :-)

If it keeps it up that augurs well for some great early skiing in Espace
Killy (starts Nov 29th?) - and the Double M is already open down to Val
Claret I think...

Petehttp://frogblog-thaidings.blogspot.com/

According to the normally highly accurate Meteo Chamonix forecast
http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php it will be snowing below 500m
and right through from today to Monday. How exciting!

It's been snowing for much of the way from Zermatt to chez Ace in
Alsace tonight. Heavy, sticking, with temps mostly a degree or three
below zero.

The last 20km were, ummm, interesting, to say the least. Got a new car
a few weeks ago, but have found that I can't, apparently, get 17"
steel wheels for it, so I'm going to have to get some alloys for the
winter. In the meantime, therefore, I'm not driving on winter tyres.
And I forgot to pack the chains, didn't I.

So with ~15cm on the roads it's been a timely reminder of just how
good winter tyres are, how much I've come to rely on them, and just
how crap normal summer ones are when there's snow on the road. Clipped
a kerb at one point, but thankfully the snow avoided any damage, and
I've left it parked at the bottom of the drive.

Now I'm part-way into my second glass of red my heart-rate's dropped
to below 90 and I'm almost starting to relax!

--
Ace - bdotrogers a.t ifrancedotcom
Ski Club of Great Britain http://www.skiclub.co.uk

Might be worth checking 16" wheel/tyre profile options, as I suspect you
could achieve the same same rolling radius as with your 17" (and I assume
low-profile) OEM set-up. Handling won't be as sharp, but if you're driving a
lot on snow and ice each winter then this is a price worth paying, IMHO.

Bonne Route... mais doucement. :-)

Roger

Roger Moss

www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude