Old March 1st 04, 10:18 PM
Schneck

Default driving to Meribel

"Roger" wrote in message
m...

From Portsmouth you can actually get to Le Harve - this is probably
the closest to the Alps and you're straight onto a motorway so it's
definitely an option. I'd opt for getting across the Channel ASAP as
driving France is so much easier. Our roads are so crap you simply
can't count on getting to Dover reliably.

I forgot about le Havre! I stand corrected! LOL!

If you're going to stay over night then it might be worth doing some
research as to what hotels are where - I booked a hotel using this
site www.france-hotel-bookings.com and was very impressed (with the
service rather than the hotel) - we only booked as it was half term
and you will not need to but getting an idea of some locations can't
hurt. The down side of the toll roads is that there are no signs to
the hotels, you need to get off the motorway and then look.

Another one is to look at the Ski Club's site (anyone remember the url??).
If you're a member you can get 10% off at a couple of hotel chains,
including Campanile. It's nothing fantastic, but it's clean and comfortable
enough with decent food. Take your club card with you, though, as they will
want to see it before honouring the discount. Campanile's site is a good one
letting you book online. I don't think it's strictly necessary to book, as
you say, but personally, I wouldn't take the risk, considering the distances
involved. We stayed in a Campanile in Beaune, just south of Dijon on the A6,
I think. You could see it from the motorway! LOL!. It was about the right
distance, too, leaving about 200 miles the next day. Sorted.

2) Get a GOOD map - one that show ALL the roads through towns, rather
than presenting the towns as a blob - this will really make life
easier if you want to detour or find a hotel.

Also make sure you know the names of major towns on your route. I found that
the signposts made the maps confusing as even the best maps rarely show when
the road changes it's number 4 times in the space of as many miles. But if
you know major town names, that isn't a problem. You just follow them.

5) Take your own music in the car - French radios are plentiful but
simply unbearable on a long trip.

Ain't that the truth... it's all in French! Inconsiderate or what??? LOL!
One thing I did find, though, was that the motorway information stations
actually broadcast in English at certain times. We found it was every half
hour. There's signs on the roads telling you what the frequency was in the
area. Around Calais I think it's 107.7 fm. After that... loads of tapes or
CD's!!