Old July 25th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Norski

Default how much training ...

"I have no doubt I could ride 50 hours a week for lots and lots of weeks in
a row if I were being paid enough..."

Two of my friends are Pro cyclists. One of them got on the HealthNet Pro
Cycling Team, which I believe is one of the top-tier, well funded pro teams
in the U.S.
Landis and a couple others probably make big money.
My friend the Pro on HealthNet seems to make a meager amount of money to
live on. He drives a very old vehicle that is always breaking. Shares an
apartment with several other riders. Many times sleeps on the floor on a mat
if people offer a place to stay. Sleeps in his car.
The other Pro on a smaller team lives the same, makes even less money and
has to work part time. He was hit by a van last year. Lying on the road with
a broken pelvis and dying. When the authorities showed up and started call
for a helicopter to evacuate him, he asked for a cheaper option. No health
insurance.

Paul Haltvick
Bay Design and Build - LLC
Engineering, Construction and Information Technology Services
FSx - Fischer / Swix Racing
Ashland, WI.