Old April 27th 05, 08:20 PM
Gary S.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:32:35 -0500, Mary Malmros
wrote:

klaus wrote:

BTW: Anyone have any good freeze dried food suggestions? We need menus
for a month. The Alaskan Weight Loss Program. "Lose ten percent of
your body weight in four weeks!"

It's not freeze-dried, but I'm a big fan of sun-dried tomatoes. Good
source of C and sure breaks up the monotony. You can cook with 'em or
just snack on 'em.

In various Italian specialty shops, and a few of the large
supermarkets in the area, they carry a brand called Amore.

Amore sells small tubes (like toothpaste) with various pastes:
sun-dried tomato, pesto, garlic, olive, and double concentrated
tomato. maybe others. 2.8 oz tube, no refrigeration until opened.

Lots of options with these.

Try Googling rec.backcountry as the topic comes up there quite a bit.

Besides freezedried, there are quite a few supermarket items which
work well. The Lipton Noodles 'n Sauce, Pasta 'n Sauce, Rice 'n Sauce
are a staple for many, a great base for other meals.

The same companies which sell freezedried meals for backpackers sell
similar foods in large quantity for the survivalist market, and they
also sell components (freeze dried chicken or veggies).

Many books out there in backpacking shops.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)
--
At the 51st percentile of ursine intelligence

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA