Old February 3rd 04, 11:49 AM
Daniel Vargo

Default TR Utah visit

Alta does have XC skiing. It is turning into the early season (usually
early November) training area for many SLC skiers. It is not the most
challenging area and the loops are small, but at 8500 ft you definitely
get altitude. For those familar with Alta, the loops are on each side
of the transfer tow from the Wildcat base to the Albion base.

The other area is up the "summer road", a nice climbing workout. It is
the takeoff for many backcountry tours and usually has a good surface.

A map is located at the bottom of the page at
http://www.alta.com/trail.html

Click on the map to get a more detailed view.

Dan Vargo
SLC, UT

In article , Walt
wrote:

Ken Roberts wrote:

Alta -- Someone pointed out to me by private Email that the designated
_cross_country_ trails at Alta are _not_ the ones I was on, and the real XC
ski trails there are much gentler than I described.

Yes, the trails you mentioned are lift-served alpine ski trails, not XC
trails.

I didn't even know Alta had designated XC trails. Can anybody provide
more info about this? There's nothing on their website...

(P.S. Sorry for coming to the party late, but I was Googling on XC
options near Alpine skiing and this post popped up. It seemed recent
enough to warrant a reply.)