Old July 10th 03, 08:54 PM
Alex Heney

Default Maier, the Tour, the Streiff and Absandre...

On 10 Jul 2003 12:00:33 -0700, (Eric Fruttero)
wrote:

Hello,

Following the Tour prologue and Maier's declaration that he would best
any cyclist with more than 1'19" in the Streiff, my friend Absandre is
arguing in fr.rec.sport.cyclisme that it could be done.

My view is that it takes one crazy #$!@ to put his skis up there, and
going down without a parachute...

But I may be very wrong... (:-

What is your opinion ? What kind of skier would it takes to be 1.5 mn
behind ??

That strikes me as a rather silly claim by Maier (if true).

The Streif run is roughly 2 minutes for the fastest skiers (Maier won
in 2001 in a time of 1'56"), while the tour prologue is over 7 minutes
for the best. So he was what 16-17% down, whereas 1'19" would be over
50% down on the leaders.

I think anyone who was a reasonably strong skier (above intermediate
level, but not needing to be an absolute expert) could probably get
down it in under 3'30".

Whether any of the TDF cyclists are that good as skiers, I don't know,
but I wouldn't be surprised.

--

Alex Heney, global villager

There are two ways to write error-free programs; only the third one works

Please remove NO and SPAM from above
address if replying by email.