Old March 29th 15, 08:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

Per the Norwegian Olympic Cmte Top Performance Group manual for
endurance athletes from ~2005, L3 is considered around lactate
threshhold (USST guide also).

L3 - 80-87% VO2max, 82-87% max HR, lactate 2.5-4.0 mmol, 50-90 mins tot.
L4 - 87-94% VO2max, 87-92% max HR, lactate 4.0-6.0 mmol, 30-50 mins
L5 - 94-100% VO2mx, 92-97% max HR, lactate, 6.0-10 mmol, 15-30 mins

Gene

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 21:42:34 +0200
Terje Mathisen wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 06:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

Gene,

Thanks for posting this. I found it quite interesting. My
performance has suffered in the past couple of years, and I think
I've fallen into the black hole, particularly when I look at
results of older guys who are really kicking my arse.

I wonder if a Birkie pin will help my work career. I'd still like
to do that race.

Hi Jay,
During my annual perusal of Birkie results, I saw you were still
racing the Birkie and up there towards the top. What would a
Birkie be without you...

While the basic message of the research is not new to many x-c
skiers who pay attention to this sort of training info, there's
still a lot of resistance and outright denial to it, especially in
the States. No pain, no gain has a lot of adherents (one well known
one wouldn't even look at the video). What caught my attention
above all in Seilor's talk was that the bulk of high intensity
training is being done at L4, not L3, contrary to most of what I've
heard over the years.

L3?

Can you even call it high intensity at L3?

Personally I'm still running ~75 competitions/year (orienteering),
they constitute at least 90% of my high intensity training in season,
and a large part (i.e. once a week or a little less) even in winter.

At least for me I tend to run a lot of competitions (they normally
last around 45 minutes) with an average heart rate in the 90-92% of
max range, this is supposedly just on the border between L4 and L5.

(170+ with a 185 max measured during a max O2 test.)

When I'm out of shape I can't average more than 155 or so.

BTW, I remember meeting Jay W when we visited Jay T for the Masters
World Orienteering Champs in Minnesota around 1995, nice that he's
still doing well!

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no