Old April 19th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Pass opening dates/Col d'Iseran

On 19 Apr, 13:46, LittleRob wrote:
wrote:
Off topic, but it's quiet... *I'd like to do this kind of motorbike,
sunny day,
dry road with walls of snow either side thing. *I'd always imagined,
that
after the lifts close down in val d'Isere they run a snow plough over
the
top, though as it sometimes snows right through to May/June I guess
it's not really like that. *Any ideas on fixed dates for opening the
Col
d'Iseran, or ideas where freshly opened high passes might be the first
couple of weeks in may (within 3 hours of Geneva).

Cheers.
Iain.

Iain

I've not ridden this route (though I'm tempted this year) but I drove it
in an open-top car a few years ago. I can recommend it.

A very good resource iswww.alpineroads.com

Rob

All I can tell you is it sure won't be open yet - we've got about 3
metres depth of snow at 3000M at the moment, and it just keeps on
coming. Tignes lifts shut on the 11th May this year, so I reckon it'll
be June before the passes are reliable. I might be completely wrong
though.

Cheers,

Matt