Old March 3rd 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Two smart things I did....

I'm just back from a week in Colorado ( Beaver Creek ). For this trip I
did two things that made the skiing much better:

1) Before going, I took a lesson. My instructor gave me some tips re
turn initiation that really helped. Basically, I wasn't pole planting
like I should, and while this didn't matter at all on easy/comfortable
terrain, it makes a big difference on steeps/bumps/powder. Well worth
the sixty bucks.

2) When the forecast called for 20 inches of new snow, I rented a pair
of ridiculously wide powder skis. Man, what a difference the proper
footwear makes. Fortunately, the rental guy was good at listening, and
after about 20 minutes of discussion we settled on a pair of Volkl
Mantras - almost 100mm under foot with a 133mm tip. Big wide boards.

It only took a run or two to get used to the Mantras, and once I did I
found I could ski them with almost exactly the same movement as my
eastern-firm (TM) skis (Volkl 5 Stars, for those taking notes). The
Mantras had a bit less edge grip and a *lot* less rebound, but otherwise
felt similar. Except for the fact that they ate up powder and crud like
I was was skiing courderoy.

With a small refinement in technique and boards engineered for the
conditions, I found myself skiing the powder with ease and confidence
for the first time ever. By the second day I was able to follow my
hosts took me into the trees for some bottomless powder. After 8 years
I think I'm finally starting to get the powder thing.

I was really surprised at how easy it was to adjust to the Mantras, and
also how well they worked on the hardpack. I should have done this a
long time ago.

//Walt