Old March 1st 04, 10:33 PM
Alex Heney

Default word of warning

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:58:41 +0100, "PG" wrote:

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
.. .
| On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 08:05:14 +0100, "PG" wrote:
|
| snip
|
| This is why they're cracking down, moron. Accidents decreased by 30%
in
| the first month of operation. Coincidence, I suppose? And as for
| fatalities, yes they've been too high in France. However in terms of
the
| total number of incidents per car on the road, the UK is well out in
| front.
|

| Indeed. The UK *is* well out in front, but not, I suspect, in the ay
| you meant..
|
| In terms of deaths & serious injuries per million vehicle kilometres (
| a much more useful measure than per car), the UK has had the fewest of
| ALL countries where records are kept in each and every one of the last
| 20+ years.

Yes. I was referring to minor incidents, not resulting in death or
serious injury, per road (vehicle) user. I've seen some surprising stats
(lies, damned or otherwise, I don't know, I didn't collate them) that
indicate as much.

OK.

I haven't seen any figures on those, and I suspect they would not be
very reliable, since there is no requirement to report them to anybody
in most countries.

I know that in this country (UK), you only have to tell the police if
injury occurs, or if property has been damaged where the owner is not
contactable at the scene.

And while technically you are supposed to tell your insurance company
about any incident, I don't imagine many people do unless they are
making a claim.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
A committee has 6 or more legs and no brain.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom