Old January 23rd 04, 01:08 AM
Ken Roberts

Default quiet Head in V1 skate?

I didn't change my head motion to improve my race speed. I did it to make
my skiing _feel_ better.

Fast race times are not my main goal in skiing. Most of my skiing time is
focused on exploring the snow-covered environment, enjoying beautiful
rhythms and gliding, and playing with new powers and feelings through my
skis.

Racing is a helpful way to focus my energy on learning some kinds of new
rhythms and powers -- and an interesting competitive game to get into. But
I'm planning to do lots more non-racing skiing -- so I want that skiing to
feel enjoyable.

jw wrote
Wouldn't it make more of a difference in race speed by
spending an hour or two more per week in the weight room
and dropping a kg or two of body fat than worrying about
minute technique details?

But trying out new motions is _fun_.

Actually I did get serious about losing weight back in the Fall season, and
it worked. But now most of it's back on me again -- so I need some speed
tricks that are more lasting.

Ken