Old February 18th 13, 10:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark[_2_]

Default Alps this year

In message
Ace wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 09:58:51 +0000, PipL wrote:

[snip]
I also /need/ some all-mountain skis and another week's off-piste
training.

Practice. No substitute for miles under skis. Of course training is
great, but unless you do enough 'variable' snow skiing it's likely to
go to waste. Come out to Engelberg one of these years and I'll show
you what it's all about.

I also later tried a pair of Dynastar Cham-87 skis: I was suspicious
of the discreet "Rocker technology" logo, but they were fine in
fluffy powder (and there was a lot of that around), on red-run bumps
and scraped-hard red home runs, and they carved well, maybe better
than the Scotts.

A lot of the current crop of skis bear such logos, but on many of them
there's no sign of ab actual rocker. My off-piste tools of the last
couple of seasons are Salomon Czars, and you can really see the front
67cm (it says it on the ski) lift well up from the snow on a flat
piste. Makes carving 'interesting' as and when the front part engages
the snow part-way through a turn ;-)

I've always thought that the ideal situation would be to have a
ski-caddy follow you around with an assortment of different skis. Then
at the top of each slope you'd be able to turn and ask for the most
appropriate ski for that run. Indeed if the snow conditions turned out
not to be consistent all the way down you could stop and ask for a
change of skis. :-)

Back to reality and currently I have two sets of skis on the go at the
moment. A pair of Dynastar Altitrail Powder for touring and a pair of
Dynastar Legend 8000 for all mountain use. Both sets are a few years old
now and the manufacturers do seem to keep changing the design and
marketing each season.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,