Old February 15th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
Mary Malmros

Default USSA Beijing-style crackdown

"Mike" wrote in
:

Curfews, group living etc. The AP write up mentioned it was all aimed
at Bode, but didn't mention that half of the speed events this year
have been cancelled, and this is Bode's last year.

I'm all for the US getting results, but isn't the 'wine, women and
song' atmosphere international in scope?

It's messed up. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall
somewhere in Europe last season when the (ski-racing-ignorant) American
public got whipped into a froth over the idea of a ski racer -- gasp --
having a drink after a race. I bet the Europeans were laughing their asses
off at the insane control-freak reaction. Curfews aren't new on the US
team, but seriously enforced curfews may be.