Old March 4th 09, 10:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Steve Pardoe

Default Cervinia, lift accident last week?

"Colin Irvine" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:46:34 -0000, Steve Pardoe squeezed out the
following:

Hi,

We were in Cervinia last week and saw a heli-evac right by the Plan Maison
chairlift (about Thursday IIRC). We were told that a man (thought to be a
Brit) and his child had fallen from the chair onto hard-packed piste,
receiving serious injuries, after a gust caught their chair.

I wonder if they'd lifted the safety bar too early...

The incident seemed to be between the get-on and the first pylon, so it's
more likely that they hadn't got it down quickly enough.

- which most people
do.

I agree, it really irritates me when co-travellers raise the bar too soon.
It's not a bad idea to make sure ski/board are off the rests in good time,
but the bar can wait.

I didn't like the sound of the chairlift accident in the Sierra Nevada
either.

A friend who goes there quite a lot sent me this link,

http://www.sierranevadaski.com/Comun...sicion100=3694

Steve P