Old December 15th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Booker C. Bense

Default Going off trail

In article , DL wrote:

"Booker C. Bense"

T2x is a all rounder boot meant for today's wide telemark skis
and way too stiff/heavy for Outtabounds skis. I would not put
anybody with dodgy knees in that kind of boot unless they had
releasable bindings.

On the knee issue, tele basically out? Maybe better off on either heavy
turning gear with releasable, or very light NNN on the tracks, just to
minimize knee stress? Forget tele and go randonee? The whole reason for me
to get some light gear is those knees of hers - so we can have something to
do together w/o the steeps, speeds and crowds of the resorts. She's pretty
novice in her abilities as well, and probably won't be putting in the high
number of days needed to get good at something that is difficult to learn.
General thoughts?

Lightweight AT gear and waxless skis can be a lot of fun, but it
is a pricy solution. I have a lot of fun on short turny waxless
skis ( Alpina Xterrain ) with Silvretta X500 bindings and Dynafit
tlt4 boots. Not the lightest setup, but easy to switch modes and
plenty of control. Dynafit bindings would be even lighter, but I
think the ease of switching modes compensates for the weight
disadvantage. ( A simple push w/the pole vs. complicated bending
and pole leverage ).

Others have answered the knee question.

I'd say Garmont Excursion would be a much
better choice for plastic boots.

I was considering, but noticed T2x was less than 1 lb heavier. Seemed ~1 lb
was worth it for to get the extra support and ability to drive larger skis.
But I the points you guys are making.

_ It's not just the weight, but the amount of effort needed to
flex the bellows. Especially when new the T2x will overpower the
ski when turning and be a lot of unnecessary work when touring.
This kind of gear works best when all 3 components are in
balance.

_ Booker C. Bense