Old March 26th 08, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_2_]

Default Flaine

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:23:49 +0000, in
, Colin Irvine
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:52:17 +0100, Ace squeezed
out the following:

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:00:06 +0000, in
, Colin Irvine
wrote:

Shamelessly borrowing the thread, we can see why you rate Flaine.
We'll definitely be going back, quite likely staying in Samoens again.

x-posting for interest

Glad you enjoyed. Care to share the highs and lows?

Highs - huge choice of wide and easy red and blue runs , good snow for
late season, Samoens is a nice village with friendly locals.

Yeah, nice village - was on our shortlist to buy before we decided on
Engelberg.

All the people we chatted to staying in Flaine itself were families
who really rated it as a family resort. Kids could have lunch with the
ski school meaning parents had all morning and lunchtime to ski off
somewhere. Lots of easy blues, ski in and out. And for better skiers,
I don't think I've ever seen so much off-piste availability.

Indeed, it's the main reason we go back to much. But we've even more
where we are now :-)

Lows - Samoens not ski in or out,

But much better than it ued to be now they've got the new express
gondola from village height. The previous access was half-way up the
hill.

last part of tourmaline blue link
into Flaine narrow and very crowded,

They've put in a couple of alternative end-points this year, although
they're both below the worst part where the piste kinks back to the
right under the pylons.

had a long trek from Flaine back
to Samoens one day when weather closed in to 20 ft visibility!

You got back though, which is the main point. It's a fair drive round
in a taxi if you screw up completely.

--
_______
..'_/_|_\_'. Ace (b.rogers at ifrance.com)