Old March 9th 09, 09:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Default Skiing at the end of the season

On 6 Mar, 15:33, john elgy wrote:
I have had some good days skiing in the past at the very end of the
season and I am half planning to go out to Tignes for the May day
weekend. What experniences does the rest of the group have of skiing in May?

John

Hi,

I find May skiing pretty good in Tignes. The biggest problem is that
by the last week of the season the STGM have a tendency to shut down
everything that isn't coming directly off the glacier, but for May-day
weekend I think you still have most of the Espace Killy. Getting to
Brevieres would probably be your only problem.

Ace is correct - (very) hard pack at 9am, softens up nicely by 11am,
slush moguls pm. I switch to a board for that 'surfing' feel, but some
fat skis would be equally at home in the afternoon I imagine - I just
worry about my ACLs in that stuff. I also agree with Ace that it's
"better" than summer glacier skiing basically because the depth is
still usually so good so you're less likely to find the rocks,pudles
and ice. Snow, when it falls, can result in some pretty awesome,
light, fluffly powder especially on the Motte and around Grand Pre
where the runs are a little more protected. And the crowds and lift
queues, or lack of them... even most of the tour operator staff have
left. I've gone the length of double-M at 2 in the afternoon and seen
one other person. Bliss.

Weather is often lovely - all vents open and t-shirt can be the order
of the day. Long afternoons spent sun-bathing on the terraces in Le
Lac are also to be expected. You may be unlucky and get some heavy
rain, but I've only ever seen it at night, and then only rarely.

Oh, one downside - the smell in Lac. As the snow eventually gives way
to mud and nature takes a hold the rotting grass that's been hidden
for 6 months makes itself known. You only notice it on the "snow"front
by the Maison du Lac, but it's pretty off-putting! Some people suggest
it's actually the chemicals they use to encourage the grass to come
back in time for whichever French national team is about to arrive for
altitude training, others says it's all the dog turds defrosting, but
I'm pretty sure it's rotting vegetation. Don't let it put you off
though!

Cheers,

--
Matt Thomas - www.tignes-lavachet.co.uk