Old October 26th 03, 11:39 AM
David Off

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

Alex Heney wrote:

They should *IF* they think it will have a detrimental effect, either
on usenet as a whole (unlikely in this case), or on other specific
groups they read (likely in this case).

It isn't just a question of whether they intend reading the group, but
whether it will affect their usenet experience.

Alex, it affects my Usenet experience if another useless Usenet group is
created, there are already quite enough. It creates an administrative
overhead for everyone who uses Usenet and carries the uk.* hierarchy.
It affects my Usenet experience if groups get diluted to the point where
there is no longer sufficient critical mass, although my opinion is that
the propsed group will never get enough traffic to take-off, especially
as most of the declared 'yes' voters are people who've never posted to a
snowsports newsgroup in their lives.

There are far too many self styled 'net gods' who have created dud
newsgroups over the years, remember the birmingham.* debacle or r.s.a.m?

Now David Mahon called for a discussion on the proposed group and asked
interested parties to give their thoughts. That is what we, as European
skiers are doing. A number of the regular posters to r.s.r.e also
contribute to uk.* newsgroups so I think we pass the test of 'potential'
users of the group and are therefore entitled to say yes or no, either
way. I hope that does not appear unreasonable to unnc posters? A
simple check on the google archives would confirm the bona-fides many of
the r.s.r.e folks who've contributed to this thread.

As I said at the start of this thread, I'm not opposed to the idea of
creating the ng., and I've not even declared my voting intentions, but
I'd like to hear a sound rational. My experience in this area with
r.s.a.m and fr.r.n-g is that there is not sufficient demand from
snowsport enthusiasts for such a group and so far the majority of
proponents will be people who have declared that they will not use the
group. If you want to convince people to vote yes, post some good
arguments and counter those already put up.