Old March 16th 06, 02:22 AM

"geoff" wrote in message
oups.com...
This setup is turning into more of a lightweight Tele setup, but
that's cool. I am seriously thinking a cable binding might be the way
to go now considering I can buy a "Pinnacle" couple them with a more
Tour oriented boot and have an almost completely different sport. Or
at the very least have two different setups based on snow conditions.
I wanted more of a tour oriented setup, but it seems the Mountain's
are a fair bit wider and more cut which demands a more aggressive
setup. I think the R3's might be the way to go, they weigh about
700grams as I understand. Which would be acceptable.

Still dream about a SNS setup. Now all I need to do is decide if I
want to lose my metal edges!

Who says getting old isn't fun!!

Karhu re-did their skis and names so you have to be careful when reading
reviews or asking for input. THere used to be an XCD model, now it's a
prefix to their line of 3 skis, all targeting "XC Downhill", i.e. touring
for a little downhill action. The Pinnacle is totally new, with moderate
(for a XC ski at least) sidecut, but an unusually 'straight' tail: 67-56-58.
I have a pair and they are a nice touring ski, which will still 'fit' a
track. I'm told by better skiers, that they are pretty 'turny' - relatively
speaking. The XCD-GT is supposed to be similar to the well-liked Pyxis,
which is around the limit of a 'real' touring XC ski, while starting to be
'real' fun on turny stuff. Best of both worlds according to some. It's
76-62-68 (in a 175) so it's starting to get fat for a Nordic center track,
but also starting to get fun in the backcountry. Either one could be driven
with a 3-pin, and I suppose they could also take a pin/cable with a
mid-weight boot.

The XCD Mountain appears to be the old Dorado. I've heard great things
about them, and I think they start to work in more powder conditions,
breaking trail, or generally in truer backcountry conditions. They start
from a 86-68-73 for a 175cm up into low 90's tip in the longest size. My
guess is that you could start looking at true tele boots and bindings and
unless you go overboard, you wouldn't overwhelm them?

I'm trying to learn to turn with the XCD-GT's and Karhu Traverse boots,
which are pretty stiff (more so than my old snowfield's anyway), and so far
I like them. Unfortunately the snow was pretty sad this year, so outings
were limited. I've heard it described as BC-lite. Clearly it's not the
same as striding in a track on my old 210 wax skinnies, but it's also not
hardcore telemark either.

yep, getting old is great fun!