Old March 27th 06, 09:05 AM

[ Hal Murray ]

I don't think of Romania as a skiing destination. How high
are the mountains? Where is treeline? Which part of the country
are the mountains in?

Not that I know very much about Romania, but I went to a friend's
wedding there last summer (in Miercurea Ciuc) and toured around
Transilvania for a few days. The winters can be cold in Transilvania,
ice skating is a big sport. Not much snow where people live, but might
be more in the mountains. There is a small ski resort near Brasov,
might be more further North in the Carpathians. Treeline is high
enough that many "mountains" have trees on top. I don't think the snow
cover is very stable, so if you live there you might get some good
days, but I wouldn't plan on going there for a (set) week and expect
good conditions without a fair amount of luck. Nice (but poor) country
though, very cheap living and good local beer. Possible to get around
speaking English, but definitely a plus to have someone speaking
Romanian (and/or Hungarian in the Northwestern part).

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp