Old February 4th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Trust Ski Manufacturers' Flex Rating

I see a tweak there, Terje. Actually, it's climbing up a moderately
steep hill in the tracks that's my ultimate test of how a ski flexes
for me. I figure at the price of skis in the States, it's worth the
mm.

Gene

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 08:40:55 +0100
Terje Mathisen "terje.mathisen at tmsw.no" wrote:

wrote:
Which leaves the question, how can 0.42mm, which is 8-9 standard wax
layers, be insufficient? There seem to be at least two answers.
First, skis don't necessarily close in an even manner across the
entire kick zone (I had a pair of Crowns where just squeezing I
could see the front 5+ cm closed right off, which explained the
drag). Second, the idea is to match that 0.42mm with the skier's
half weight (with adjustment for skier's preferences). In my case,
at 80kg, the actual measurement seems to be well less than .42,
since I can't use more than about 6 layers + a thin binder in front
of the ball of the foot before seeing drag.

I'm simply amazed that all you wizards always ski on perfectly flat
surfaces, so that you can notice the difference between a few tens of
um of flex on top of the snow surface.

Frankly, I've never been able to do that, except that I'll often run
up a steep hill outside the tracks when I have marginal grip in the
track. I guess this _could_ be due to the less packed snow outside
the track, but that's a difference of mm, not um!

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no