Old January 15th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Default Prior Khyber as my main board

wrote:
Thanks for the reply,

I miss the Prior demos - they do Whistler the day before I go to the
coast, and they do my local mountain (sun peaks) while I'm still down
there. I'll be able to try one out in spring but I've heard you can
demo some boards at the factory in whistler also.

Fanatyk Co in Whistler village demos some boards as well. Also the
Whistler factory is pretty close and always has demos. I've been to Sun
Peaks three years ago December and there was a lot of powder all over
the place.

20-30% trees and powder is probably right. We are doing more roadtrips
this year and id like to do some catskiing next season. itd be great if
you could let me know how the Khyber rides. I was deadset on a MFR
before this but like I said, after the past few days i think i could
really appreciate something that is a bit better in the tight stuff.

Rode the Khyber 160 and 156 today. Conditions were cold (-7 C) and very
firm (was around -13 C yesterday) with medium/high winds (15-35 kph).
The Khyber was able to handle these conditions respectably, although
because of the taper you need to keep it pointed down the slope the
whole time with quick, slashy turns. If you try to carve across the
fall line, the wider nose will grip the snow a lot more than the tail
and will whip you around backwards if you don't put more weight on the
front foot. Of course the taper really lets you exit your turns quickly
and get onto your other edge and I the Khyber should be a noticeable
step on in the powder and trees compares to anything you have. When I
manage to find some "snowcone" powder caused by everyone scraping off
the groomers, the Khyber really came alive as it really enjoy soft
snow. The tail is stiffer and has a bit of pop (noticeably more than
the Fish) which is great for doing a bit of backcountry freestyle. You
could take this board into the park without much problem.

I'll try the 160 Split tomorrow if I have time.