Old January 13th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Default Prior Khyber as my main board

wrote:
I searched the forum and found some good information but I'm still a
bit undecided,

heres my deal. This is my 2nd season of riding alot, prior to that id
just ride a few times a year. My current board, which I learned on, is
a 159 option super cap I bought used so its probably a good 4 - 5 years
old; noodly and chattery as hell, won't hold an edge when really
bombing it, and I really have to lean back riding deeper and lighter
powder.

this is also pretty much my first year riding steeper, deeper, and
denser tree runs. im not so good at manouvering in the trees and it
feels like it takes forever to get a turn started. ive got no
confidence to bomb through them cause i know that i probably wont be
able to get that turn going as quick as i want, then i end up going
slow and just bogging down in the powder. same goes for the bumps and
moguls. im thinking that a board thats described as short turning and
made for powder and trees would definately help me. i know there is
obviously my skill involved but i still feel that my current board is
holding me back.

Before this I was thinking of a Prior MFR , but after the past few days
I also thought that an easier turning board for the trees would be
great.

what im concerned about is the khyber's performance on piste and at
high speed. although i am liking more and more riding powder and trees,
bombing down a wide open groomed run is still pretty fun. I'm also
starting to get into some snowshoeing for backcountry access and am
going to start accessing wide open powder bowls that beg to be ripped
down.

it seems to me that it makes the most sense to get a board that can do
the hardest thing you want to do (in my case tight trees in deep snow)
better, and all the other stuff ok. does anyone use their Khyber as an
all around board or is it relegated to a quiver of boards and only for
the tree runned powder days?

The first thing is that I disagree with your idea that "it makes the
most sense to get a board that can do that hardest thing." You want to
get a board that can do what you do MOST the best. If you ride tree
powder everyday, then get a tree powder board like the Fish. The Khyber
is actually a hybrid board, so you should be riding trees and powder
very often (where do you ride?) like at least 20-30% of the time. If
you are riding a 159 now, you should at least go to the 160 (yes, I
know they suggest shorter... but if you were to email them they would
actually recommend the 160 as well).

Prior is a great brand (I got my gf a Prior) and I think the Khyber
will be pretty good overall freeride board so long as you are keeping
it in soft snow. I doubt it is turned to handle steep icy/windpack
traverses or slopes that well. It should be able to carve pretty well
and stay relatively stable - however you should wait until Tuesday. I
will be demo'ing the Khyber (156 and 160 and 160 split hopefully) this
weekend and will let you know what I think (I've already ridden the
Prior MFR 158 and Prior AMF 153).

Here's a discussion on the topic, pay attention to posts by "Bordy", he
mispelled Khyber as Kyber, but he knows what he's talking about in
terms of snowboards
http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...ber#post107926

Anyways, I will get back to you soon