Old March 27th 06, 02:18 PM

Am Montag, den 27.03.2006, 11:05 +0200 schrieb Martin Thornquist:
Not that I know very much about Romania, but I went to a friend's
wedding there last summer (in Miercurea Ciuc) and toured around
Transilvania for a few days. The winters can be cold in Transilvania,
ice skating is a big sport. Not much snow where people live, but might
be more in the mountains. There is a small ski resort near Brasov,
might be more further North in the Carpathians. Treeline is high
enough that many "mountains" have trees on top. I don't think the snow
cover is very stable, so if you live there you might get some good
days, but I wouldn't plan on going there for a (set) week and expect
good conditions without a fair amount of luck. Nice (but poor) country
though, very cheap living and good local beer. Possible to get around
speaking English, but definitely a plus to have someone speaking
Romanian (and/or Hungarian in the Northwestern part).

1. There are more ski stations. Even pretty serious ones. You get some
info he www.snowpage.de

2. Snow coverage in the rumanian mountains normally is pretty good. You
can compare (at least in the northern and northeastern part 700/800m
high to 1300 in the Alps. Sure, in the summer it's warmer so the
treeline is relatively high (at about 1500 - 1700m).

3. English but also French are viable languages. In some parts also
German.

Greetings,

Ulrich