Old January 16th 06, 11:11 PM

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
lal_truckee wrote:

Dave Smith wrote:
...Let's just say that if you are old
enough to have a 14 year old kid, you are going to be one of the oldest
people on the hill.

I call Non sequitur.

Not entirely, but maybe I should have explained. It is a little more
physically demanding that some people realize. There is more to it than
just
standing on a pair of skis and letting gravity do the work. It takes a
lot
of energy to counter gravity and keep yourself under control. I tried
downhill skiing after more than 15 years of cross country skiing. That
taught me some basics about balance, but I always thought that downhill
skiing would be easier..... until I tired it. I had no problem on the
bunny
hill, thanks to Xcountry experience. I had no problem on the beginner
hill. I
set off for an intermediate hill. Half way down that hill for the fourth
time
I thought my thighs were going to explode.

I was 43 the first time I tried down hill skiing, and I was usually twice
the
age of most of the people around me. I rarely ran into people my age or
older. I attribute that to the physical demands. There aren't that many
people over 30 who are in condition to even tackle the slopes, and those
older people who do try it do only a few runs. Kids have a lot more energy
and can easily spend a whole day on the slopes.

Sorry, but I disagree. Most young people can't afford to ski often because
it's an expensive proposition. I generally ski in the Northeast (Vermont
mostly), and can't agree with your statement that most skiers are in their
twenties or younger. I think all ages are pretty well represented on the
slopes, and seeing a 70-something cutting a nice track is no more unusual
than seeing a 5 year old first timer, or a 25-year old hot rodder.

As for your legs hurting after a few hours, that means you're having trouble
yourself - possibly with technique, possibly your equipment, maybe just
hitting too much rough stuff. Unless the weather turns really awful, I
always ski all day long, and I've been skiing for 45 years. Last year, in
anticipation of my 60th birthday, my wife took me on a two week ski trip to
6 different areas, and we both skied all day for 13 of those days.

It was tiring, yes, but not at all painful. I don't do the big moguls
anymore because that does hurt, but I still like the little ones, and I like
skiing in the glades. I don't think I'm especially fit either, and my knees
bother me just walking down stairs.

Skiing is a joy, and if it's not a joy for you then you should figure out
why. If your legs hurt after a few runs, then something is wrong as I
mentioned before. Downhill is absolutely different than cross-country, and
I suspect you might be trying to translate some of your old technique to a
different sport.