Old January 19th 04, 05:19 PM
Mike T

Default Our snowboarding misadventure at Seven Springs

What went wrong: Just about everything else.

There were lots of good comments from the others -

Yes, the worst is over. It gets better from here, why else would we all
be so fanatical about it? FWIW, aside from the car and laptop
accidents, my first time went pretty much the same as yours. I slammed
down on the ice so many times I could barely move for three days. I
didn't try again till the next season, and it went much better.

Yes, rent from a shop, not the mountain - try on the boots at the shop,
get into the bindings, do whatever you can to make sure your stance is
comfy.

I recall you saying on your 1st thread, weekdays were not an option.
You could rent at a shop the night before, and then get to the mountain
bright and early, before the lifts open. You want to get into the
first lesson of the day, which usually starts just after the lifts open.
The slopes will be less crowded. Beginners don't get to the mountain
early. If you do, you might get the bunny slope to yourself! Also,
group lessons will probably be less crowded early in the AM. Not to
mention, chances are the trail will be freshly groomed.

It sound like your lesson just plain sucked. Call the 7 springs, ask
for the ski school manager, and tell them about it. Depending on what
kind of operation 7 Springs is, you might get some freebies out of it,
like a free lesson and ticket. If you decide to go for the private
lesson, make an appointment at this time, and make it *clear* that you
want the best beginner instructor they've got!

If you do a group lesson instead, like I said, show up for the first
lesson, who knows, you mind end up getting a private one anyway!

Mike T