Old January 19th 04, 02:16 PM
Han Solo (D)

Default Our snowboarding misadventure at Seven Springs

"Edward Arata" wrote:

I would suggest
taking a person that knows how to board. Ask a friend (adult) or the
kid next door to go with you for the day. Hell! Save the money you
would spend on lessons and buy a lift ticket for helping you.

I would disagree on that.
I know a lot person who tried that, and it always ended in "ok, now you
turn" - "how?" - "well, I don't know how to explain, just try it. you
will know it soon"

It is a great difference between knowing snowboarding and knowing how to
TEACH snowboarding.

It confuses me that you didn't get on a lift. Learning to snowboard
is all about having enough slope. If you stay on things which are too
flat you will not be able to carve.

Lessons we give for beginners usually take 2 days, on the first day you
take the lift ONE time in the afternoon.
The rest of the day is basic training.

Hell, you can take the lift all the day if you want to, but without
basics you barely drive down but fall...

I understand that you don't want to hit people as a human projectile.
I have this issue as well being 6'5" and 200 lbs. So less crowed day
would help, not to mention non-icy conditions. The snow conditions
also have a huge impact on learning. Don't learn on ice or deep
powder, neither will be much fun. The best I think to learn on is
machine packed powder that fell within the last 3 or 4 days, so its
not too too hard.

Other than that there are only two keys to snowboarding. One: Weight
on your front foot. Two: bend your knees. (whenever I take a good
spill, I am usually getting lazy on one or both of these points.)

hmm, there's a lot more on snowboarding than that. rotation is the most
important for beginners, among the front foot, ok.
a normal turn is set together by a lot of small things, and if you learn
them step by step, it is really easy!

You will be surprised how fast the learning curve is for snowboarding.
I spent 2 days falling down and after that it just starts to click.
You can become a pretty good boarding in 2 or 3 seasons compared to
skiing which I have been told takes much longer.

Well, and I can promise you: if you take a lesson at a good snowboard
school, you'll learn it in 1 day!

We garuantee our beginners they can drive down a normal hill with
curves/turns in one day. We never had to take that promise back. I am
honest. We had beginners from 6 years to 60 years, they all made it.

Definitely try it again, and I suggest taking a boarder with you who
will stay the whole day with you and help you with equipment teach you
how to board.

Don't do it.
Take a lessons and depend on a maximum of 5 persons in your group. Or
take a private lesson.

Martin