Old January 5th 04, 12:59 PM
ACey

Default Snowboarding or skiing?

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in
:

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote in message
om...
"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message

1. Am I correct about the learning curves of boarding vs. skiing?
If

not,
what's the reality?

The first 2 days are tougher on a board than skis (you *will* be
stiff and sore). After that, snowboarding is a much faster path to
intermediate skill. Once you're an intermediate, I'd say the
learning curve to get to advanced/expert skill is about the same.

I don't know if I will be able to put in the time to become advanced
in either sport, but I certainly want to become an intermediate, so
this is comforting.

This is so true. Unless you live in the mountains and can ski pretty much
all winter, you'll have real difficulty getting beyond intermediate level
skiing - it just demands too much time input to progress. From that
point, boarding is much better, as it seems to be a continuous learning
curve, whereas with skiing you reach a plateau.

My skiing is rusty and my snowboarding pretty good, so with the
limited time I now have in the hills I tend to ride. If I could get
in more days I'd do both. If I could get in a lot of days I'd take
up telemarking. Sliding downhill on snow == big fun, no matter the
equipment.

Exactly what is telemarking? I've seen this term before but I don't
know what it means.

It's the original Scandinavian type of turn - using ski bindings which
are only fixed at the toe. When you turn you slide the inner leg forward
and outer leg back, lifting your back heel from the ski and pressuring
the ski through your forefoot. It's great fun, very elegant, and bl**dy
difficult. (I tele as well as board - like 'em equally, although much,
much better on a board!)

For what it's worth, I say board. Get a few lessons and a helmet, have
fun.

AC.