Old January 5th 04, 03:28 AM
Joe Ramirez

Default Snowboarding or skiing?

"Mike T" wrote in message
I'm planning to learn either snowboarding or skiing and would like a

little
advice from enthusiasts about which sport to choose.

Many good points made on this thread... I will not repeat them...

...one approach would be to try both and pick the one you like better!
Most resorts offer lift/lesson/rental packages in both skiing and
snowboarding. That's a great place to start. Perhaps try each one a
few times and see which one you like better. IMHO it's always a good
idea to rent or demo before buying your own gear... making sure to pay
attention to what your renting so you have an idea what to buy.

Yes, I plan to take lessons and rent equipment before buying.

The same clothing can be used for both of course. Sure, pants and
jackets are often marketed specifically to skiers or boarders, but if
you go for function over fashion you'll probably end up with something
good for both. Living in Pittsburgh, you probably have most of
what you need already.

We just bought goggles and gloves yesterday (I already had a couple pairs of
gloves, but no waterproof ones). I also bought ski/board pants. We plan to
use jackets & hats that we already have. If we stick with it, we may buy
helmets.

For the record I skied for about 10 years, did no snowsports for 3, and
then started boarding at age 27. I'm 33 now and I plan to board my
entire life.

Another such vote. May I ask why? What converted you from skiing to
snowboarding?

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez