Old January 5th 04, 03:22 AM
Joe Ramirez

Default Snowboarding or skiing?

"Stephen" wrote in message
2. If you both ski and ride, which do you prefer, and why? If you ride

but
don't ski, do you have any sense that you're missing out on an important
part of the winter mountain experience?

I used to ski on occasion, maybe once or twice a season. Since trying
boarding though there's been no looking back and it gets me out there at
least once a week. I don't miss skiing at all. Never did like the poles,

or
skies being able to go in opposite directions.

Most of the commentary I've read from skiers who have tried snowboading
seriously seems to agree with you -- the people ended up liking snowboarding
better.

4. If I took up snowboarding and persevered long enough to become a

decent
rider, would I be able to hit the slopes with the brother and/or
brother-in-law (I mean the ones within my capabilities)? Or is there
something awkward about going snowboarding with skiers? Does one get

"left
in the dust," so to speak?

There's shouldn't be any real issues but maybe some little things. One

thing
I've found here is that skiers tend to stop on flatter sections of trail

regroup. Getting going after stopping on a flat for a snowboard is a pain,
whereas skiers can just pole along. Another thing may be just style,
snowboards tend to make use of more of the trail, whereas most skiers tend
to just go straight. Makes it a little more awkward trying to go down side
by side.

Is it possible to "just go straight" on a snowboard? Or is constant back and
forth turning required to descend a slope?

I'd say give it a try at least. Take a lesson, maybe request an instructor
of like age, and don't give up after the first day. If after three days,

say
consecutive weekends, you still don't like it, then maybe try skiing
instead.

This is probably what I will do, although I may not be able to count on a
choice of instructors. However, I have no problem learning the sport from
someone half my age, as long as no one tries to steer me toward the
halfpipe.

Thanks,

Joe Ramirez