Old December 23rd 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Why Is A Ski Fast?

jimbo wrote:
jimbo wrote:
OK, maybe a dumb question. I now own three pairs of skis, one pair new
two weeks ago. Soooo, same skier, same boots, same poles, same ski
mountain, same runs, same snow conditions, etc. Why are the new skis
faster? What I mean is that even though I feel that I am skiing the same
way, the new skis seem to be much faster than either of the old skis.
Actually more than "seem", they ARE faster. So much faster that I have
to make a conscious effort to go slower and stay in my comfort zone. The
only explanation I can come up with is that the new skis are skidding
less than the old skis.

I would appreciate comments, jimbo

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. My better half tunes our skis every
week, and sometimes during the week if she suspects any problem. We
ski about 60-70 times a year. All of my skis are "all mountain"
models. Dynastar Intuititive 74, 188 CM are 5 years old. Atomic Metron
11, 172 cm are one year old. The Volkl AC3, 177 cm are new last week.

The pdf link doesn't work, and I couldn't find any reference on the
web site.

http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/17/11/5/1
May have the article but you need a subscription.