Old December 23rd 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

Default Why Is A Ski Fast?

jimbo wrote:

What I mean is that even though I feel that I am skiing the same
way, the new skis seem to be much faster than either of the old skis.
Actually more than "seem", they ARE faster. So much faster that I have
to make a conscious effort to go slower and stay in my comfort zone. The
only explanation I can come up with is that the new skis are skidding
less than the old skis.

Less skidding is most of it.
My old old skis were floppy and liked to skid.
The only way to go fast was straight down the hill.
My new skis like to go on edge, so I don't have
to scrub much velocity just to turn. I also
have to turn *longer* to slow down.

They are also fatter and a little heavier.
A little more M in the Ma and the MvSquared.

-- Mike Treseler