Old March 28th 13, 07:05 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

Default How inconvenient is it...

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 19:37:54 +0000, Michael Chare
mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk wrote:

The area is much better interconnected than it was, as for some years
there has been a lift from Furi to Riffelberg. Getting an international
ski pass that allows access to Cervinia is worth while - IMHO. But watch
the wind speed as the main cable can can be closed. We enjoy the run
from the Kliene Matterhorne to Valtournenche first thing in the morning.

You're certainly right about the interconection - I was able to ski/lift from
Trockener Steg to Rothorn. and I did the reverse journey on the last day.

Not for nervous intermediates, though: I took the black-ish down to Furgg one
way (oh, and on another occasion the red from Schwarzee, come to think of it)
and the red down from Rifflealp going the other. The black, at the end of the
day, was quite busy and the red from Rifflealp going the other way was
seriously busy with a wide mix of abilities, which made it hard work.

There's quite a good online Telegraph (I think) review of the resort. Their
comments about the blacks not being very black matched my opinion, though I
guess the itineraires make up for that. Unfortunately, given the patchy
visibility I had, plus my cautious nature, I only tried a couple of lower
sections.

I've just dug out my first ever piste map of the resort, in fact, my first
ever piste map. The resort has certainly changed. 1993. Sheesh: where did it
all go?
--

Pip