Old November 12th 10, 08:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Ace[_4_]

Default Pieps avalance beacons

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:38:01 +0000, jakemosterio
wrote:

Hey, has anyone heard of these Checker things this guy is talking about
at the end of the article I found here on the ' Pieps Dsp '
(http://www.piepsdsp.com) Curious to know your opinion on them, if they
work well or not with other beacons like the Pieps 457 or the SOS F1-ND

Only very briefly tried the DSP, and it seemed simple enough, but
we've plumped instead for the Barryvox Pulse, a couple of years ago.

As for compatibility, all beacons (for the last 20-odd years, at
least) use the 457MHz frequency, so there should be no issues
whatsoever with searching for older models or vice versa.

As for the checker - well, unless you're skiing on your own, your
buddy should check you anyway, so I don't see the point. Then again, I
don't often ski on my own, and if I do I'll generally check mine
against a spare before I leave the house, so I guess if you don't have
a spare and you ski backcountry solo then it's not a bad idea.