Old February 25th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Blowhardbuster

Default Norwegians: Hotbed of Skiing?

On Feb 25, 8:00 am, Blowhardbuster wrote:
On Feb 21, 9:38 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®"

wrote:
"tassava" wrote in message

From Aftenposten (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/
article2269555.ece)
"A public opinion poll conducted by research firm Norstat for sporting
goods retailer Anton Sport indicates that around 40 percent of the
Norwegian population never goes skiing. Four out of 10 women
questioned, and 32 percent of men, said they are not keen to go cross-
country skiing, downhill skiing or snowboarding, according to
Aftenposten-no's report on the new poll."

I enjoy the fact that Aftenposten depicts this finding as proof that
"much of the Norwegian passion for skiing is pure myth." A clear
majority of women and an overwhelming majority men do ski!

Christopher

Well.... compared to the United States (where I am), where 9 out of 10
people probably do not even know what cross-country skiing is (except a few
northern states, such as Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maine, etc.), I'd say 60%
majority makes Norway a nation of skiers. As far as professional athletes
go, Norway has by far the most World Cup nordic skiing medals than any other
country (Finland 2nd, Sweden 3rd). So I say Norway still retains the title
"hotbed of skiing."

A better research question would be how many of them know how to cross-
country ski, but don't do it now. I live in Ma. and often I am looked
at as some pervert in tights when skiing. It's really the southerners
who have moved up here that demonstrate a stupid attitude, but in a
way, to question this article seems rather southern, too.

Actually, I meant myth not article and don't want to leave it at 13
messages here. As to football and baseball, they are the national
spectator sports, but when it comes to claims about them being the
"National Past Time" and other stupid assumptions, I often am miffed
regarding the claimants. Many people have played these sports as
children, but adults rarely play them. In fact, Lacrosse has
surpassed American Football as the most popular collegiate sport.
Rowing possibly outnumbers them both. Of course you see many crowded
football stadiums during the fall on the idiot box, but in the region
that contains the most schools, the N.E., the stadiums are never full
for the saturday games and the practice fields often used for soccer
and lacross. In fact, when I lived in Cambridge I saw many baseball
fields kept in meticulous conditions by the moronic city employees
because they were seldom played on. The soccer fields were always
worn and grassless due to use. Boston can be said to be the same,
although softball was more popular amongst male adults. Futhermore,
Harvard had a ski team, not the best, but a team. I used to skate all
over their practice fields in the winter snows, but saw no other
skiers. I doubt if there is one school in Norway that you could have
the fields all to yourself.