Old July 3rd 05, 04:00 AM
Gary Jacobson

I'm "pro-helmet" but I find this bit of science interesting:
In populations of bicycle riders in which helmet use is necessary by law
there are more head injuries than in populations with no laws about helmet
use.
Doesn't say much about the utility of a helmet in the event of a crash, but
it does illuminate a short coming of statistics.
Risk aversion while riding with out a helmet might be one explanation. I am
assuming that the populations have similar cycling habits.

Trivia - which Scandinavian National Team now requires helmet use (and
why)?

Guess(es): Norway. 1. Many roller ski crashes. 2. Insurance issues. 3. They
want to prevent head injuries.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY where I have decided that I will train on bike or roller skis
if I forget my helmet unless "I have a feeling", because the health benefits
of a work out outweigh the risk of an injury. (How's that for
rationalization?)

"Marsh Jones" wrote in message
nordvind wrote:
With all the rollerski chat happening lately, thought I'd post a
reminder resulting from a fall I took today. Don't know how I managed
to do it, but I took a mistep at speed and fell flat on my back hard
enough to dent the back of my helmet. Some serious thinking about what
would have happened to my head if I didn't have the helmet on.

Nice reminder. I assume you took it off and said 'thank you very much..."
Also, time to get a new helmet - they are definitely designed to be 'one
bounce'.

Marsh