Old February 24th 06, 06:20 PM

Default High altitude: blood clot more likely?

Another semi-OT question...

I was raised in Michigan, then at age 25 I moved to Colo and lived in
Breckenridge for a year, then LA for 6 months, then Breck for 6 months,
then Boulder for a year, then LA...so I was living and working out and
racing at both high and low altitudes for a few years.

Then I broke my leg badly at 10,000 ft and recovered back in Boulder. A
week or two into the recovery a blood clot went to my lungs and rather
shut them down, so I went to the hospital.

Now that I'm an old fart of 44 (magnum) the docs want me to start
taking a mini-aspirin every day---especially because of my history of
clotting, they say.

Well...was I messing around with blood thickness back when I got that
clot?

Hmmm, maybe I'm naturally already over the legal level for hemo and
have sludgy blood. I've never been tested for that stuff, though. I do
have a blood test for cholesterol around here somewhere. My "good"
levels are way high. Would there be a stat for hemo somewhere in a
blood report? --That's maybe of less interest for someone who's not
sporty, so maybe they don't point it out.

I'd say I've always had really good aero, vo2max, recovery, enduro, all
that kind of thing.

What I'm driving at is in general does a kind of blood that's really
good for enduro-sport also tend to have a somewhat higher risk of
clotting? And in particular if someone is living/racing at both high
and low altitudes (ranging from sea level to 11,000 feet several times
a year) is that doing anything to increase clot risk? Do hemo levels
relate to clotting?

--JP
outyourbackdoor.com