Old December 8th 03, 02:22 AM
John Smith

I'm planning on flying, so that means planning 21 days in advance not to
mention arranging time off from work.

On the other hand, SLC is only a 14 hour drive from my house; I could do
that on short notice!

Thanks

AstroPax wrote:
On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:53:09 CST, "John Smith"
wrote:

//snip//

I definitely want to treat my son to some special skiing while he still
enjoys my company. Airfare to SLC I can afford. Several day trips to Tahoe
I can afford. A trip to Targhee, not as easy.

With an annual average snowfall of approximately 500",
Alta/Snowbird/Solitude/Brighton average well in excess of 1 foot of
new snow per week throughout the season.

So if you have the freedom, keep an eye on the weather patterns and
time your trip accordingly. During a good winter, I would say that a
decent storm rolls through the Wasatch about every ten days, or so.

If you just show up hoping for deep snow, then it's a hit or miss
proposition. That goes for anywhere, not just Utah.

Like yesterday, or even Friday, one could have looked at the short
term forecast and come to the conclusion that the skiing over the next
several days, starting on Monday, will probably be good. Based on my
personal experience with Wasatch Front forecast accuracies, you can
usually get a general feeling for what's going to occur about 3 days
out.

Here are a few Wasatch Front weather related planning tools:

Salt Lake City Area Forecast Discussion:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/forecast/AFD.shtml

Cottonwood Canyons Forecast:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/pro..._forecast.html

Northern Utah Mountain Weather Forecast:
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Saltlake/snow/MTN.shtml

Wasatch Range Avalanche Advisory:
http://www.avalanche.org/%7Euac/advisory_w_glossary.htm

If you need several weeks to make a trip happen, then I don't know
what to tell you. But if you can make it happen on a short notice,
two, three, maybe four days, then you shouldn't have any problem
finding what you are looking for, regardless of where you end up
going.

-Astro

---
maximum exposure f/2.8