Old March 18th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

Default Birkebeiner-Rennet cancelled - wow

"Terje Mathisen" skrev i melding
Eddy Rapid wrote:
Wow is right! Safety does come first obviously, especially when people
haven't signed up to an expedition-style adventure.

I'm thinking of doing the Birkebeiner-Rennet next year. I think of
all those people who put serious effort into training and then the
serious money going there from a far, for this to happen... I think of
RSN's Peter Hoffman...

I wonder how bad it really got.

According to the organizers, they had measured a maximal gust of 62 m/s
(!) on Raudfjellet at the moment when they decided to cancel. Average wind
was up to 20+ m/s at that time.

20+ m/s is about 45-50 mph, 62 m/s is well into hurricane territory, i.e.
140+ mph.

Why don't they thing of using sunday as a spare day; bad weather on saturday
may not mean cancelling the race if sunday also is available for racing?

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes