Old November 5th 13, 04:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Default April in Colorado?

On 11/04/2013 01:30 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

Back in the 80's, I bought a used Chevy delivery van and converted it
myself into a pauper's motorhome - sleeping platform (that perfectly
fit the mattress from a convertible sofa), a 20-gallon watertank with
a handpump over a sink sunk into a butcherboard counter top, but not
much else. The walls and ceiling were paneled and insulated, but it
didn't cut the winter cold or summer heat much.

We still have the 68 Dodge delivery van we used. We bought a lifetime
battery for it from Penney's in 1975 or so. I think we've gotten 3
batteries so far. Firestone bought out the Penney's automotive service
department, so now we have TWO sets of hoops to jump through. Each time
they triy to convince us to trade our lifetime warranty for a "better"
battery with a limited warranty. A couple of times they've wanted to
examine the van's electrical system (sorry, I brought the battery in by
hand -- how are we supposed to get the van there with a dead battery?),
but when I ask them what part of the warranty demands that they give up.
Allen puts the charger on it every once in a while now, but if
necessary we'll get another one -- no way am I losing that paper!

Plywood platform resting on pipe nipples and flanges with a foam
mattress. Milk crates underneath to hold tools, etc. An ice chest,
replaced several times. A shovel and a roll of TP. Sleeping bags,
pillows, etc. Not sure how many times we crossed the country in it.

Next time we'll rent a car. Much less stressful -- if it breaks, you
just phone for a new one.

On one of our first trips, I took it down to San Felipe in Baja, and
while out exploring one day I followed what looked like a
well-traveled road - it was actually a section of the Baja off-road
race course that year, which soon ran into a sand wallow in a dry
creek bed. I spent most of the afternoon digging out of that, in the
middle of which I would have given the keys to anyone who gave me a
ride back to the border.

I've made theoretical bargains like that, but I'm pretty glad there was
nobody there to take me up on them :-)

--
Cheers, Bev
I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding