Old November 4th 13, 08:30 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default April in Colorado?

On Monday, November 4, 2013 10:18:24 AM UTC-8, The Real Bev wrote:
On 11/04/2013 08:42 AM, pigo wrote:

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 9:23:55 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:

There's a back way through Capitol Reef near Bullfrog Marina at Lake

Powell too. Great area! Most of it is just dirt road. But there is

one switchback section that I wouldn't want to do without 4x4 if

wet.

I think Moki-Dugway was dirt when we decided NOT to take the motorhome

down; we wanted to do that drive on motorcycles anyway. So there's a

real road that's nastier than that?

I nearly ran out of gas coming back and stopped at the campground where

the road crosses the river/lake to try to buy gas. A boater gave me a

couple of gallons and wouldn't take money for it. Sometimes people are

nice.

Somewhere east of Capitol Reef I remember a real paved road so steep we

had to unload the motorcycles from the trailer and dump the water tanks

on the monsterhome to get to the top. Theretofore I had thought that a

big engine with an automatic could go up anything reasonable, just

slower. I was wrong.

--

Cheers, Bev

aibohphobia - fear of palindromes

Back in the 80's, I bought a used Chevy delivery van and converted it myself into a pauper's motorhome - sleeping platform (that perfectly fit the mattress from a convertible sofa), a 20-gallon watertank with a handpump over a sink sunk into a butcherboard counter top, but not much else. The walls and ceiling were paneled and insulated, but it didn't cut the winter cold or summer heat much.

On one of our first trips, I took it down to San Felipe in Baja, and while out exploring one day I followed what looked like a well-traveled road - it was actually a section of the Baja off-road race course that year, which soon ran into a sand wallow in a dry creek bed. I spent most of the afternoon digging out of that, in the middle of which I would have given the keys to anyone who gave me a ride back to the border.