Old October 15th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default still another type of skates

On Oct 15, 6:21*am, Jan Gerrit Klok Jan.Gerrit.Klok.
wrote:
Like 2 of those magic wheels!
I think I had an idea like that when I was first exposed to footage of
those.

That weight can surely be improved upon with some good engineering. I'm
already involved in some ground breaking weight loss designs for
cyling.
That doesn't make these very likely to "do it" for me, in my quest for
actually off-roadable skates to simulate XC skiing in teh summer, over
typical fire roads with some sand.
Weight of 11lb per pair would not scare me out at all, if I get the
performance I am looking for.

Should these sell in any quantities at such a price, I am going to take
steps towards gettting my design to the market. A tubular off-road tire
railing around a flat bottom flexible "ski" to obtain a drastically
lower pressure on the soil, especially at the front of the contact
patch. If the interface between tubular and frame can somehow be
engineered to last outside of a lab, it WILL be all that, to every XC
skier.

--
Jan Gerrit Klok

Yes, I have had a similar idea, never got it beyond the idea point. I
am surprised the weight per "ski" wheel is at high as 7 lbs - high-end
cycling wheels weigh way less than that (2 lbs?), a good speedskating
wheel weights ~100 grams, plus some carbon fiber scaffold here and
there to attach to the foot. I am also thinking that the rear wheel
will limit the off-roadness... needs to be inflatable at least.