Old February 6th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PSmith[_2_]

Default Ski Binding Question

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
news
"Ace" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 12:05:29 -0000, in
, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

"Roger Moss" wrote in message

"Matt T" wrote in message
Agreed. Usual ski-tech questions centre on height, weight and ability -
i.e. aggressive or leisurely approach. Obviously, weight is a key
factor
here.

I've never understood why. My bones don't get any thicker or stronger
just
because I may put on weight!

But the amount of pressure you're putting through the bindings does.
for example, a 20-stone man would just pop out of bindings set on 5 as
soon as he tried to edge even the gentlest turn, whereas a 5-stone
6-year-old might never release them on the same setting in even the
hardest twisting fall.

But if the 20 stone man had the same size bones as a 10 stone man, then I
would say that he would be taking a considerable risk if he set the
bindings to a high setting.

--
Michael Chare

All the guidance on DIN settings hovers around age as well. Hitting "50" the
DIN settings seem to reduce by 1. I appreciate that bones in older people
can become brittle, or is it an indication that older people should slow
down!

Paul