Old February 16th 04, 11:18 AM
Edmunde Lee

Default Excessive Leg Strain Carving at High Speeds

Alex Kwan wrote in message 5.250...
Hi,

I'm an intermediate snowboarder and I've only just begun to go at
highspeeds for entire runs down the mountain. The problem I have is that my
back leg seems to strain alot while carving high speeds, and by the time I
get 1/2 down a run I have to stop and rest my legs before going again... Is
this normal? Is there something wrong with my carving technique or do I
sipmly need to strengthen my legs? I'm riding goofy +15 right -3 left.. Any
suggestions?

Alex

I made a similar post to this last year.. =)

It's hard to say without actually watching you ride, but for me, it
was an over-exaggerated stance that was killing me. I was ducking
very low, and putting most of my weight on the front leg. Finding a
balanced stance, and distributing the fatigue across all the muscles
in the legs helped me.

I also found that when I was first getting into high speed carving,
that I would tend to hold my breath, believe it or not, which _really_
tired me out quickly... oxygen is a good thing.

Have you tried adjusting your stance/angles? I was riding duck for a
while, but found that +30 right, +10-15 left felt better for
carving... a more forward stance.

Judging by your angles, your in softboots, as am I. Ever consider
going alpine?

On heelside carves, sometimes I stay squatting, and sort of "rest" my
elbows on my knees for a quick rest. I also try to straighten my legs
when toeside. Keeping the muscles moving with premote circulation to
help get the lactic acid out.

I find when I get tired I tend to stiff leg too much.. sometimes it's
best to rest, or call it a day.

If you're just beginning to carve, then you're no doubt going to
improve over time. Unless this trend continues, I'd say rest when you
feel you need it.