Old January 20th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default What are typical low end temperatures for XC?

There are temp rules governing FIS races, such as World Cup events,
which you can look up. They are sometimes bent, such as taking the
temperature at the warmest, most protected part of the course. The
downside is athletes are most susceptible to getting exercise-induced
asthma at lower temps. More than the cold, it's the wind and exposure
to it that kills, at least to a point. On a sunny day -5 or -10F is not
bad at all, assuming one is appropriately dressed. Just expect slow
squeaky snow, best for striding.

rm

DirtRoadie wrote:

OK, maybe this is a silly question, but while I live in an area with
regular winters (a "ski town," so to speak- SW Colorado ) the typical
temperatures put us in "banana belt" when compared to other winter
climes. While we have been getting regular -10 F nights, a day which
maxes out at 15-20 degrees F is considered VERY cold here. (and even
then we often have abundant warm sun.)

This season we have been having weather colder than we have seen in
quite some time acompanied by (mostly) much welcomed snow.

In any case, what is the coldest typical daytime temperature that
those of you in other parts of the country or world typically ski at?
And when I say "typically" I mean just that - not some extreme that
you experienced at one time or another.

Also, is there a set cutoff point for competition? If so what is it
(for race various governing bodies/rules)? (Yeah I know I could
google it, but I'l bet someone here can answer off the top of their
head.)

Just curious. TIA

DR